Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 20:42:27 -0400
Sounds like you've had some attitude (altitude) adjustment tonight. I agree.

-Steve K8LX

On 10/7/2014 8:34 PM, John Sloop wrote:
I have been monitoring this thread for it seems like over 2 months and
cannot help myself but I must bring some common sense and insight to this
audience.

Now that I'm 85 when the temperature is above 90 degrees I limit my free
climbing to 300 ft. and 700 ft. when it is below 90.  I carefully step over
guy wires and Tic Rings.  It is important to climb at a minimum rate of at
least 30 ft/minute to avoid exhaustion & have time to work at the top.
Above 700 ft. I use 2 lanyards so one is always attached.  This is important
because gusts, microbursts, & popup thunderstorms are a common occurrences
which cannot be avoided and accomplish significant work.

When I climb I'm up for the day and pack a lunch and water as it is
essential to avoid dehydration.  Both lanyards are used when performing the
necessary body disposal functions, it's just too hard to hold a bag at your
behind when swinging from one lanyard -- however these bags are only
necessary when working on towers in congested areas.  In the country, it's
really great to swing by one lanyard facing out from the tower and take a
whiz!!

I always attach an OSHA rated line to my harness that reaches to the ground,
even though it gets heavy above 1700 ft but is necessary so that when the
job is completed I can rappel to the ground.

My XYL says I should retire, but it is just too much fun and when you enjoy
what you're doing you never have to work a day in your life.  However at 97
I plan to limit my jobs to towers 1800 ft. or higher so I don't wear myself
out.

Happy climbing.
73
John S. AA0ES