Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing (Reminds me)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing (Reminds me)
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 04:18:43 -0400
On 10/7/2014 5:01 PM, EdK0KLl wrote:
Actually folks you are missing the point ... in practice the safety equipment enables a person to work on the tower with /*both hands*/, i.e. you can let go of the iron and do some
2- handed work.

I've probably told this before but:
Many years ago, I was working on a repeater antenna (Farwell, MI), side mounted on a 200-250 foot tower (over 30 years ago, so I'm not sure of the height), 2' square with a 10' taper to about a 6" plate (pier pin). Guy wires consisted of many fine strands in about a one inch bundle. Hit with a wrench and it'd ring like a tuning fork, but much higher than middle C. I was fully harnessed, but standing on the side of the tower with my body horizontal and facing up.. That put the base of the antenna right in front of me where it was easy to work on with " two hands"

You can hear really well from up there on a calm day. I could hear the ground crew (all hams) talking. I clearly heard one say, " I gotta go home, I can't watch this"

73

Roger (K8RI)

The safety cable enables you to slip off a spike or strut and not fall. The 2 sided cable means you can always be hooked to the iron, one at a time as you ascend or descend as the case
may be.

Fine if you don't want to hook up, don't. Don't use auto seat belts or stop smoking either. It's all the same thing, a matter of acceptable risk. I use a safety cable and a harness with a fall arrester, I also use a belt and suspenders .. maybe that's how come I'm still am here at 73 years.

Ed K0KL

Roger (K8RI)

---
is active.