Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran

To: GMuller885@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran
From: Big Don <bigdon39@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:51:45 -0700
For completeness in the Phillystran discussion, the "Lok-Cube" should
perhaps be mentioned.

These were provided with 1990-vintage KT34XA antennas to terminate the 1/8"
Philly boom truss..
This item is basically a one-inch-or-so on-a-side plastic cube with five
thru-holes in the axial direction,
one in the center and one in each corner, hole diameter slightly larger
than the Philly.
A diagram in the instructions showed how to weave the Philly thru the
holes.

The Lok-Cube uses no positive clamping, all that keeps it from slipping
apart is friction of the Philly against itself, and the Lok-Cube, when the
termination is pulled tight.  It is little more than a knot. Our XA has
been up, untouched for 25 years, including a couple of near-terminal
ice-storms, and the boom appears to be fine.....

Just a thought here - our gut feel is you could attach Philly just by tying
a knot similar to attaching a fishhook to a nylon leader. Maybe Grant could
try some in his 20,000# tension tester and see if it slips or pops at any
significantly reduced strength...??  Might start with the good-old Clinch
Knot
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/five-fishing-knots-you-will-ever-need-to-know/

Don  N7EF