Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 06:53:10 -0400
RE: crimp-crimp PL-259's - I've never used them, only the crimp-solder type. So I have no idea why the warning against soldering the center pin on those connectors exists.

AFA DINs for stranded center conductor cable, to me a viable connector type would be a single piece (with captivated center pin plus separate crimp ring) connector with an open-on-the-end center pin (ala PL-259) for flowing solder into.

But such an animal doesn't exist AFAIK. So we are left with the separate center pin connectors, which I actually like like a lot for ham use.

Now as to my claim about mechanical superiority, I agree that since the outer crimp ring is similar to the crimp PL-259's, the pull out strength is probably similar. I guess the warm fuzzy feeling you get with DINs is the way they conform to a precise mechanical standard. When you mate a male DIN with a female, there is just a very robust feel to it.

-Steve K8LX