[TowerTalk] Feedline - Question - Idea

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feedline - Question - Idea
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 16:17:33 -0400
7-16 DIN are fantastic connectors but "N" are really not that bad.  I used
a number of N connectors at my station.  Also if you use 1 1/4 or 1 5/8
Heliax the 500 ft loss is not bad at all on HF.

John KK9A

Herbert Schoenbohm KV4FZ wrote:

Gary, The long feedline plus reject loads will cost you over 3db  on the
upper bands.  If you use LMR600 you could reduce that but the type "N"
connector would be a weak point for QRO and DIN connectors would be better.
500 feet of Heliax would be a high price to pay. Using fully remote amps at
the antenna site may not be an option.  It might be better to build the
shack in an RV or transportable container at the antennas.  It is easy to
fully operate all of the radios from your home via Remote Rig or other
products.  500 feet of CAT 5/6 is cheap to make the connections.

Herb, KV4FZ