Re: [TowerTalk] Laying out radials around a stone fence

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Laying out radials around a stone fence
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:27:01 -0700
On 5/14/2018 5:44 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
Interesting observation, no doubt accurate given the qualifications of VE6LO,
but I wonder to what extent this reconciles with assertions by K9YC, and, I
think, N6LF, about radials serving to shield the radiated signal from the lossy
earth as much as they serve as a return path for RF current.

My publication on this was in http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf which is largely about antenna and counterpoise systems for 160M. None of it is original to me -- rather, it summarizes the work of others, much of the best of which is by Rudy Severns, N6LF.

My 160M Tee vertical is about 25 ft from the building that houses my shack, so the radials that run in that direction end there. I have about 60 radials that vary in length from about 60 ft to about 125 ft. All were laid on the ground about ten years ago, and mostly overgrown. Occasionally the deer manage to kick or drag one of them.

I seem to recall some work by K9YC and others on the positive effects of radials that
weren’t even connected to antennas that, unlike a quarter-wave monopole, were already
complete (such as dipoles both vertical and horizontal), and thus the radials didn’t
serve as a return path, but instead helped reflect radiation that would normally be swallowed
up by the earth.

I have not written about this, but I think N6BT may have.  Tom is the original engineer/owner of Force 12, and a very bright guy. He has done a lot of serious work with vertical antennas. http://www.k2kw.com/

73, Jim K9YC