Re: [TowerTalk] Laying out radials around a stone fence

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Laying out radials around a stone fence
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 09:58:39 -0700
On my QRZ page https://www.qrz.com/db/N7WS when referring to adding more radials under my Inverted-L I mention using care since every bit of vegetation on my property has thorns or burrs as can be seen in the photos.

I'm often bemused when I see pictures of a vertical with 100 radials neatly staked out in perfect symmetry on a 40 acre lawn. Not so here. I started out in a somewhat bare spot in a sandy wash and removed as little cactus and brush as possible.  Of course this really complicated the installation of radials.

So several years ago I developed what I've called the needle method, which Ian's comment brought to mind and caused me to write this. What I use is a 20-foot length of 3/8" rebar for the needle.  It's long enough to get through a lot of stuff but still limber enough to bend around minor obstructions.  My insulated radials are mostly on the surface but if the needle penetrates the ground or cactus the wire follows.  I use tie wraps to attach the wire, either to the leading or trailing end as the situation requires.  For the most part desert plants give each other room so I can work around them even when it takes a couple of passes to get a 50-60' radial laid out.

Wes  N7WS