Re: [TowerTalk] Tower foundation and bedrock

To: Charles Lind <cxl24@case.edu>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower foundation and bedrock
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 09:06:32 -0700
Hi Chuck,

An engineered spread footing can be used instead of a deep hole. Some of the catalogs for big triangular towers show them. Enough mass and moment resistance for a self supporting tower can be created several different ways other than the deep hole off the shelf design.

For DIY to the OTS tower base design, limestone should yield to a excavator hydraulic hammer or go down in the excavated hole with a large electric breaker (or an air driven jackhammer with trailer air compressor but they are a real handful). One of the electrics wouldn't be so bad as the hole needed isn't much deeper than 3'. Most rental yards have a Bosch, Hilti, Makita (what I have) or Dewalt on a cart. I used a bull (spear) point in sandstone, hardpan, and shale, good to have a sharp spare. (plus eye and ear protection).

A small backhoe or mini-excavator (better, esp. for the conduit trenching) can be rented to remove the dirt and broken rock. With 200 acres maybe a nearby friendly neighbor's backhoe?

If the rock is granite not limestone, shale, or sandstone, that is a whole different ballgame.

Grant KZ1W

(Case '66/68)