[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Tower foundation and bedrock

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Tower foundation and bedrock
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 05:46:32 +0000 (UTC)
 Pete,
I made a lot of simulations for various wind conditions and found out that my
tower, unguyed, was going to safe sustain wind up to 85 mph with a surface area
of 20 sqft. As the wind, frequently, reaches that value where I live, on a
hilltop in Southern Vermont, I simulated the possibility of adding guy wires.
That increased the safe sustained value to 135 mph. So, against all advice, I
have a guyed tower that can be unguyed. I don't know where this misnomer comes
from that a self-supported should be weaker if you added guy wires. Maybe
somebody can tell me. I understand if the guy wires have a very steep angle the
load on the tower will increase but that is not the case with mine.

Hans - N2JFS