Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:30:11 -0700
On 6/6/2019 12:03 PM, Wes wrote:
The FA-VA5 is nice, can be read in sunlight, but suffers, IMHO, by a cumbersome interface.  Running something this capable with three push buttons is a stretch.  This can also be used as a "front-end" to the DG8SAQ VNWA software which is extremely powerful, remarkably free and can be run on a Windows tablet in the field.

Agreed on all counts, although once you get used to the UI it's OK. I've used it in the field about ten times, and the more you use it, the better the UI feels. Mostly I use it with a computer running DG8SAQ software.

As to battery life -- it's still running on the AA Duracells that I installed when I built it about six months ago. It runs on battery only when not attached to the computer, and battery life can be extended by turning off the display backlight. And, as noted, the display is easy to read in daylight without a backlight.

73, Jim K9YC