Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
From: "Larry B. via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 19:24:35 -0400
Another "vote" for the SARK-110. I use it (mostly) in the shack connected to my PC, but also find it fine in the field.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

-----Original Message----- From: Dick Green WC1M
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 16:37
To: 'Garry' ; towertalk@contesting.com

The best choice depends on your intended use for the instrument. Do you really need a vector network analyzer? Much as I love lab-quality instruments, I don't design antennas, filters, matching networks, etc., and while it would be fun to measure some of those things in my station, virtually all of my use is checking resonant frequencies, bandwidth, SWR, impedance and the length/integrity of feedlines. All that can be done with a good antenna analyzer and you don't have to spend a ton. That said, some models are more immune to strong BC interference, if that's an issue for you (not for me.)

I'm quite pleased with my Sark 110. It's accurate and has all the features I'll ever need. I particularly like that it goes up to 2m, unlike a lot of HF analyzers. It's terrific for taking measurements on the tower -- can't beat the size. Some may criticize the small size, but I haven't found it to be an issue. No problem seeing everything with my old eyes, and there are some display modes that show numbers like SWR larger. Pushing buttons with large fingers isn't an issue. I sometimes wish for a larger, more rugged input port connector, but so far it really hasn't been a problem. I have a little box full of adapters and jumpers that I take with me up the tower. I guess I'd say for field use the Sark-110 can't be beat, and I've found it useful in the shack, too (and it has a USB interface with PC software, too.)

73, Dick WC1M