Re: [TowerTalk] tower fatality

To: "'Steve Lott'" <lottsphoto@gmail.com>, <jz73@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower fatality
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 16:00:36 -0400
I don't like to speculate, but it looks more like Rohn 45 or 55 on a pier-pin
base. You can see the pier pin hole in the first shots of people gathered
around the base. It also looks like there's only a single 10-foot section. If
that's correct, it may be that the person was trying to put temporary guys on
the base section, and when it fell over he hit the stone wall. Or perhaps just
the 10-foot fall was enough. It doesn't take much if you land  the wrong way.

Again, it's speculation on my part, but if he climbed the base section to
attach the temporary guys that wasn't the correct way to do it. You put the
temporary guys on with the base section on the ground, then with at least one
helper you lift the base section onto the pier pin. Then, with at least one
person holding the base section in place, you tighten the temporary guys. I
guess it's possible that he did it the right way, but the section fell over on
him while he was holding it and someone else was tightening (over-tightening?)
the guy that ran behind him. Rohn 45 and 55 weigh about 100 lbs per section, so
you wouldn't want one to fall on you. But I think it's more likely he was at
the top of the section trying to attach temporary guys. If no one was holding
the section, or if only one person was, it could easily fall over.

It's been almost 18 years since I put up my Rohn 55 pier-pin base, so my
recollection is a little hazy, but I do have some photos that show how I did
it. Parts of that project were downright scary. Rather than guy the base
section with rope, I used pre-made guy cables from one of my AB-577 towers. The
"snubbers" on the guy assemblies allowed me to tension the guys properly
without having to manually tension them and use cable clips. I was somewhat
concerned about using 1/8" stainless steel cable for a "man load", but the
breaking-strength ratings appeared to make it safe enough for temporary guys.
To make sure, I used two sets. First set was attached to the base section, then
a friend and I hoisted it into place and tensioned the guys. We then attached a
second set of 1/8" guys to another section, I climbed the base section,
attached the gin pole, and my friend hoisted the next section to me. I fixed
that section in place, then we tightened the second set of temporary guys. So I
had
 two sections up, each with its own set of temporary guys. Then I climbed to
the top of the second section, and we lifted two more sections, one at a time
(the guy on my tower are at 34'/64'/95', which means the brackets are attached
at the bottom of every fourth section.) The single section above the two
temporary guy sets didn't sway much, so it wasn't all that scary when attaching
the first set of permanent guys to the bottom of the fourth section. Then I
climbed down and tensioned the  guys. I could have stayed on the tower while my
friend did that, but I wanted to do it myself -- after all it was my life at
stake. After that, the first four sections were solidly guyed with 5/16"
Phyllistran and steel cables. But I left the temporary guys in place as there
was no reason to remove them at that point. Then I climbed and placed three
more sections, attached permanent guys to the bottom of the fourth, climbed
down and tensioned the middle guys. Then I repeated with three more section
 s and attached/tensioned the top guys. After that, the tower was rock solid.

Climbing the unguyed sections was scary because there was some sway (and
knowledge that the sections were unguyed), but Rohn 55 is rugged stuff and I
felt that the three unguyed sections were essentially self-supporting and the
likelihood of a leg breaking or bending was essentially nil. I'm not so sure I
would have felt that way about Rohn 25. I was confident enough in the Rohn 55
that I placed one more section above the section with the top guys (which were
halfway up that section), so that there's 15 feet of unguyed tower above the
top guys. This allowed me to use a short, heavy-walled aluminum mast with my
large 40m beam a few inches above the top plate, rather than having to use a
15-20 foot steel mast that I would have to climb to get to the top antenna.
I've climbed that unguyed 15 feet many times and it's plenty solid.

Needless to say, I was really glad when the top guy was attached and tensioned.
If I'd been able to get a crane to the base I might have gone the pre-assembled
route.

73 Dick WC1M