Re: [TowerTalk] tower fatality

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower fatality
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 20:52:46 -0500
On 6/16/2019 15:00, Dick Green WC1M wrote:
You put the temporary guys on with the base section on the ground, then with at
least one helper you lift the base section onto the pier pin. Then, with at
least one person holding the base section in place, you tighten the temporary
guys.

Just last week, I put up a pier pin base Rohn 25 just about that way. While waiting for my helper to arrive, I attached the temporary guys to the top of the first section. A second set of ropes were attached to the anchors, and loosely tied to the middle of the section. I then stood the section on end, lifted it onto the pier pin, and tied the lower ropes onto the tower. That kept it upright until I went around to the anchors and tightened the main temporary guys. When my helper arrived, we were ready to put up the gin pole and install the second section.

I wouldn't try that alone with Rohn 55, of course.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA