Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Fatality

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Fatality
From: "Ed Earthlink" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:14:17 -0400
Wow, seriously?  Like cut 1, then 2, then 3?  Did they loosen them on the
ground first so they were essentially "flapping"?  I have to hope so.  And
how far above the next set of guys was he up there on the top?

It seems so stupidly obvious to bolster the section below with temp guys so
that you are never more than one 10 ft section above solid guy points -
ESPECIALLY with 25G.  45G you might scootch a second section although I
never do.  Just feels too flimsy for my taste.

Ed  N1UR

The contractor I hired to take down my old tower, also Rohn 25, just sent a
worker up to the top to cut the upper guys.? That left the 70 foot tower
held up only by the lower guys. They did put some ropes on when they had to
send a second worker up there to get the top section off, as they didn't
have a tower jack, and declined my offer of a crowbar and a block of wood.
No disaster occurred, but after waiting 6 weeks for them to come back and
put up the new tower, I fired them and hired a local ham to help me put it
up. I paid him generously, saved a bunch of money, and got the tower up in a
day. We used rope for temporary guys until we got the lower real ones one,
but he never went more than 10 feet above the guys.