Re: [TowerTalk] time to modernize the reflector

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] time to modernize the reflector
From: Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 19:27:57 -0400

On 8/24/19 6:25 PM, GaryK9GS wrote:
> My big gripe with groups.io is that it does not quote the message being
> replied to  when using the web interface.   There is a way to do it but it is
> not the default and it is not easy to find. What ends up happening is there is
> no context for the reply.73,Gary K9GS

You're asking to transform an email list into a forum.  This dramatically
changes the content and discourse, effecting the S/N ratio.

Email is great as it allows well thought out and reasoned messages on a
subject.  I can reply when I want and it's direct.  A forum is subject to
censorship and pettiness which is all to common in amateur radio today. My
words can be changed and edited by anyone with database access.  Sure an admin
could mess with the archives on a list, but there's thousands of independent
messages already out there.

People will say it's "easier" to use a forum.  These same people will take no
time to learn how to use email effectively.  Email requires strong written
communications skills, and coalescing thoughts into an overall logical
construction.  This makes it much easier for people to read and respond to
emails on a list.  It's the bulwark of the S/N ratio.

- --
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net