Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 11:48:17 -0400
Tony -

That's exactly my question for those who insist on using PL-259 crimp
connectors that require soldering the center conductor.

Crimping the center conductor takes about 30 seconds and I've used crimp
connectors that allow crimping of the center conductor for years without
problems.  I can't even find my soldering iron in 30 seconds, HI!  I can
even replace a coax connector on the top of my 120ft tower, even in the
wind, without running a 300 foot of extension cord or digging out my propane
fired soldering iron.

I'm guessing that "solder the center-pin folks" have just always done it
that way and just feel comfortable doing it that way.  That's fine, but I
think practically none of these people have tried crimp connectors with the
ability to crimp the center conductor.

This is one of those controversies, like "is a quad better than a Yagi",
that will never be resolved.

Personally, I'm glad not to have to find my soldering iron every time to do
what is a simple process with the center conductor.

73, Bob - W3YY