Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 16:18:38 -0700
On 4/28/2020 3:20 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
There is some benefit, however, to use two loading coils on either side of center for each element (instead of center coils) because that gives better current distribution along the elements.  Most modern Shorty-40's do this, and it's the same reason why some mobile vertical antennas use center loading instead of base loading.

There was an excellent 2-part piece in QEX 4-5 years ago showing by well-controlled measurements of real mobile antennas that NEC does not accurately model current distribution in an antenna with lumped inductors placed in a segment. The error is that it fails to account for current change through the inductor -- it models the current as the same on both sides of the inductor.

NEC DOES, however, include an option to model inductors as a helix, which does account for the change in current and voltage through the inductor, but you need a version that allows a LOT of segments. I'm using a version of W7EL's EZNEC for which I paid about $500 ten years ago, and I've done that for a few portable designs that W6GJB and I were working on together.

73, Jim K9YC