Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 06:36:43 -0700
Of course.

On 4/29/2020 6:21 AM, jimlux wrote:
On 4/28/20 9:35 PM, Wes wrote:
I agree with Dave.  We had a similar discussion about this (using monopoles) nearly 20 years ago in the rec.radio.amateur.antenna forum.  I wrote a little paper at the time; I see it's available at: https://www.qsl.net/n7ws/Loaded_Antennas.pdf ; Of note is my reference #1.

Wes  N7WS

I think, though, that the whole "short vertical" thing (typically in the context of vehicle mounted antennas) is a much more extreme case than a loaded 40m, where the elements are nearly full sized (46 ft vs 66 ft).

The radiation resistance of a 8 foot monopole for 7 MHz is a lot smaller than the loaded 40m yagi element.

Loss resistance is going to be a much bigger factor for something with a 2 ohm radiation resistance than for something with a 20 or 50 ohm Rrad.