Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

To: Simon Ravnič <simon@hamradio.si>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils
From: Tom Hellem <tom.hellem@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:19:49 -0600
Hello Simon-
K7QA and I have been playing with the exact thing you are contemplating,
except that we are
doing it on an old Hy-Gain DIS-72 linear loaded 40 meter beam. We started
by winding loading
coils of 3/16" diameter copper tubing 3" i.d. 15 turns, 5-1/2" long. We
measured (and calculated)
the inductance and plugged the values into an EZNEC model and arrived at
physical lengths of the
reflector and DE of approx 290" and 274", based upon the original Hy-Gain
element taper schedule.

I am not familiar with the KLM but I am sure a similar procedure could be
done.
Also, I would be interested in knowing your proposed method of
manufacturing
the loading coils. It might turn out to be better than the one we used!

By the way we would be happy to share the EZNEC model with you if you have
the
ability to put it to use.

73

Tom