Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 20:35:09 -0700
On 4/28/20 7:08 PM, Michael Tope wrote:
Yeah, I was expecting the two-coil design to have better VSWR bandwidth. Did you compare the radiation resistance of the two designs? I would expect the one coil design to have a lower radiation resistance.

Perhaps the lack of difference in the VSWR bandwidth of the two designs explains why the Cushcraft 402CD/XM240 designs go to the trouble of using capacitance hats after the loading coils.

capacitance hats make the current distribution more uniform along the element - that helps with gain as Dave just pointed out.

A sort of ultimate version is a tesla coil - uniformly loaded, with big capacitance on each end, with the "element" being a tiny fraction of a wavelength. It's a parallel LC circuit.

Of course, a TC is a terrible radiator.

73, Mike W4EF..............