[TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils
From: Brian Beezley <k6sti@att.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 16:26:23 -0700
I just tried a quick model to see if a single loading coil at the center of a 40m dipole element was feasible. For simplicity I modeled a 46-foot element with constant 0.75" diameter. I compared two loading coils located halfway out each half-element with one loading coil at the center. I was expecting the single-coil element to have much narrower SWR bandwidth. But SWR for the two designs was remarkably similar. I adjusted the inductances for resonance at about 7.15 MHz. The SWR of two-coil design was about 2.7 at 7.0 and 7.3 MHz when matched at 7.15 MHz while that of the single-coil design was 2.85. Both had a load loss of 0.06 dB using coil construction similar to the M2 coil (calculated Q about 965). The inductance of the single coil was 8.0 uH while that of the two coils was 7.7 uH each. I quote SWR values only to indicate the inherent Q of the elements. They are not what a Yagi made from such elements would exhibit.

In addition to simplicity, the advantage of using a single coil is that when optimized for maximum Q (about 1230), the diameter increases to about 6.9" with a length of about 4.7". Enclosing a coil of this size to keep the Q from degrading when wet would create two large wind loads halfway out each half-element. But the wind load would be no problem when mounted at the boom. VE6WZ seems to get by without coil enclosures, but these results are alarming:

http://www.n3ox.net/tech/coilQ/

After examining the M2 coil manual and making measurements on the coil illustration, I estimate the coil diameter to be 3". The length is 5.8125" according to the description (15.5 turns of 3/16" tubing spaced the wire diameter). Lead length is 1.5" to the element centerline. All dimensions are wire center to wire center. You can model the coil inductance and automatically optimize Q with this:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/coil.zip

See README.TXT for installation instructions. I will be updating the program tomorrow, but the current 3.89 version works fine.

I used the RLC coil model in my antenna model. Inductance varies somewhat over 7.0 to 7.3 MHz due to coil self-resonance so there is some error when you use a simple RL model to cover the whole band. The L and C of the RLC model are constant over 40m. I saw some difference in SWR at the band edges between the RL and RLC models though nothing great. If your antenna modeling program can handle RLC loads (R in series with L, C in parallel with that series combination), use it for best accuracy.

Incidentally, Copperweld makes copper-clad aluminum wire if you want to reduce coil weight when mounting coils halfway out each half-element. AWG 5 wire (0.1815") with 10% copper by weight has a copper thickness of 4.7 skin depths at 40m. That puts 99% of the current in the copper. The M2 coil uses copper-clad aluminum.

https://www.copperweld.com/application/files/6815/3833/2604/Welded_Copper-covered_Aluminum_CCA_10.pdf

I'm hoping someone verifies this loading comparison. The results are surprising and I'm always suspicious of unexpected favorable results.

Brian