Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 22:03:52 -0700
On 4/28/2020 6:50 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
Whether NEC accurately models the current isn't the point.  You don't need a model to know that if you push the coil out away from the center the portion of the current between the coil and the center is higher than it would be between that same point and the center if the coil was at the center.

Yes, BUT you DO need a model to QUANTIFY how much better (or worse) the performance is for variations of a design to answer questions like "Is it worth the trouble to do all this?" W6GJB and I spent a lot of time optimzing an 80M vertical for portable operation. We used several variations of top and bottom capacitive loading combined with several variations of inductive loading. None of our designs used a base loading inductor, but we did vary their position. There were some designs that worked awfully well electrically, but were a problem to build, or had issues with wind.

And it's also worth it for what you can learn by going through the process.

73, Jim K9YC