Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 06:28:48 -0700
On 4/29/20 12:31 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

Agree on all of that, which is why I agreed it isn't a dominant effect. And of course you and K6STI have a good point about the additional wind loading of mid-element coils.

Every commercial coil loaded shorty-40 antenna that I know of puts the coils out on the elements, though, so I suspect it may be worth the bother if done right.

73,
Dave   AB7E

I suspect that it's driven by 3 things:
1) commonality of parts for different models of antennas (i.e. you only need one kind of boom/element clamp or other aspects for manufacturing convenience)

2) mechanical design (previous comments about cantilever loads, and the general complexity of attaching stuff)

3) buyer preference - product differentiation (the buyer likes how it "looks" or is influenced by other factors)

RF performance (particularly forward gain) is probably a wash for "practical" designs, and most hams aren't going to buy one of each and evaluate whether the side and backlobe shapes are "best" for their operating style.