Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 21:58:19 -0500
On 9/21/2020 7:49 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
On 9/21/2020 4:27 PM, K9MA wrote:
It's a multiple of a half wave on all those bands, which means the feedpoint impedance is very high, typically 2,000 to 5,000 Ohms. A good

"all"?

If it were about 65 feet long, it could be a half wave on 40 CW, and a
full wave on 20 low phone, 1.5 wl on 15 high phone and 2 wavelengths on 10 FM. (The resonant frequency increases by a factor a little in excess of the harmonic number.)  However, even that doesn't explain how it is supposed to work on 30, 17, and 12 meters or cover 10 CW.

You might as well call it an end fed random wire.

Rick N6RK

It's certainly not close to a half wave multiple on 30, 17, and 12 meters. On the other bands, it doesn't have to be exactly resonant, just close enough that the impedance is high enough that it works with a minimal counterpoise. With a really good 8:1 transformer (nearly ideal over the frequency range), one should be able to get the SWR within range of a typical internal ATU, say below 3:1. It might take some adjustment of the wire length to find the best compromise for all the bands.

I use mine mainly on 40 and 20, so I modeled it to determine the optimal length for those CW bands. (21.3 meters of AWG 26.) I use a very small homebrew tuner with that antenna, and it has a fairly narrow range. That length, however, is for a wire supported at one point about 10 meters high, about 5 meters from the far end, sort of a lopsided inverted V. The feedpoint is near ground level and the far end has a long line on it so it can be as high as possible. With a single support, that configuration, according to the model, was about optimal for those bands. In my case, a feedline is precluded due to weight limitations. (I carry the antenna on a bicycle.)

With a wider range tuner, a wire that length will  work as a random wire on the other bands, but a better ground system will be necessary to make it efficient and prevent RF burns.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA