Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core
From: Ignacy Misztal <ignacy.misztal@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 20:11:55 -0400
It s hard to be smart here without tons of experimentation. Danny Horvat of
myantennas.com seems to have done it. First he selected cores that do not heat
much yet require few turns. Second he found a type of winding that make 9:1
transformation efficient with very little losses. Third, he put a capacitor on
input to cancel stray capacitances, such that does not get burnt. Forth, he put
a coil a few feet from the end to move the resonance lower for higher
frequencies. Fifth, for KW, one needs an extra choke at the end of the
feed-line to avoid a “hot” amp. A few turns of coax on a large snap-in toroid
are good enough. His boxes take a KW though not 100% duty.

One EFHW box carries 80-10 and 40-10, just different wires. It is  a miracle
for such a simple box to cover so many bands. I compared his EFHW to an OCF,
and not much difference except EFHW covers more bands. What is even more
surprising, his EFHW-80-10 seems to work even on 160 at 500W without burning.

Ignacy NO9E