[AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706
From: doug@nc.rr.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:09:04 -0500
All this talk prompted me to take my storage scope home tonight and
have a look at the rigs I use. Here's what I saw at 3.5 MHz as
measured with a 2Gs/sec digital scope:

On my Icom IC-706Mk2G, approx 1 year old:

pwr     spike   overshoot
===     =====   =========
100w    100w        0%
 75w     91w       21%
 50w     73w       46%
 25w     52w      108%
 10w     26w      160%

On my 9 year old Kenwood TS-850SAT:

pwr     spike   overshoot
===     =====   =========
100w    109w        9%
 50w     58w       16%
 25w     30w       20%

I didn't check my Johnson Ranger :-) Anyway, the 850 looks pretty
good, about 20% is the worst case. The output power on the 706 returns
to nominal after about 2.5 mS. I took some pictures, and if there's
any interest I can put them on a web page for others to see.

It would seem to me that the IC-706 (and rigs like it) would mainly be
problematic with amps that require substantially less than 100w to
drive and that switch quickly. Is this correct?
73,
Doug, K4DSP