Re: [Amps] GS35B Plate connection suggestions wanted

To: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS35B Plate connection suggestions wanted
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:20:03 -0500
Tomm, George, et al...

If heat expands the anode cooler, it does not cause stress on the the GS-35b, because the the heat sink is completely above the tube's metal to ceramic seal.

It took a while to find the page you might have meant...maybe this one? That design looks over complicated to me, and more applicable to neutralized 20 dB tubes with handles than with 13 dB grounded grid triodes.
http://www.somis.org/D-a-11.GIF

Here's some pictures similar to the suggestion to use a hose clamp...found on http://nd2x.net web site.

The amp I built was for 432 MHz...like this one.
http://www.cworthy.net/kl6m/gs35b/choke.jpg

Other Amps with hose clamps
http://nd2x.net/PA3CSG.html
http://nd2x.net/k8cu/amp-2d1.jpg
http://nd2x.net/vk8rh/6m-grid-mount.jpg
http://www.dg2kbc.de/pics/tube_top_b.jpg

The hard way to do a clamp...maybe Russian original??
http://nd2x.net/ea3axv/gen-2b.jpg

Here's a semi-comercial amp using the stainless steel clamp technique
http://www.pa7ta.com/432MHz%20RF-Deck.htm

In fairness...wb8wju has a neat idea for HF amps...similar to an anode cap.
http://nd2x.net/wb8wju/5w.jpg

So, I think the hose clamp has enough design examples to show that it works.

jeff, wa1hco

gdaught6@stanford.edu wrote:

Hi,

The one time I did it...used a stainless hose clamp around the base of
the copper fins and pinched a wire under it.

This is probably a BAD way to do it, because the anode cooler will expand considerably going up to 250 degrees C! The hose clamp could result in some pretty big stresses in the tube.

Rich Measures' (AG6K) website has a neat way to contact anode coolers that don't have caps for the purpose... or even those that do!

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT