Re: [Amps] HV transformers I want to series primary and parallelsecondar

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformers I want to series primary and parallelsecondary
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:22:41 -0500
   I built a 5 KV DC HV PS a few years ago and used two 78 lb transformers
but I paralleled the primaries and secondaries. I did use separate bridges
for each secondary and combined them at the filter cap. Works great.
   I may use that approach with the PS I'm building now but I want to here
the PROs and CONs of a few alternative methods.
If I place the 110 primaries in series and also series the secondary using
the common connection on the secondary as a CT, would equalizing the
currents in the transformers be necessary if the secondary voltagse of the
transformers differed more than say 25 volts or so. These transformers have
the same part number so the core/winding should be equal ( give or take a
few volts ).
Another question: If the secondary voltages differed more than 30 or 40
volts and I used separate bridges, how much of a potential problem would
that be?
Larry N5BIP
---------------

Steve Wrote:
   Can't see any problem, but I always use a separate bridge on each
parallel secondary and common the outputs - it's probably not essential
but it avoids the possibility of wierd reverse current effects.

Larry Carman wrote:
> Can a pair of HV transformers having 110 primaries be hooked up in series
> 220 and there 2000 secondary ran in parallel? I would assume you would
still
> need secondary inductance to equalize the currents through each
transformer?

Steve