Re: [Amps] HV transformers I want to series primary and parallelsecondar

To: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformers I want to series primary and parallelsecondary
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:02:44 -0400
Larry,

Sure they can, you just have to watch the phasing of the windings. In other
words, for a series connection like the primary, the end of one winding has to
connect to the start of the other and you have a start of a winding and an end
of a winding available for the line connection. In parallel it's the opposite.
All start winding connections connect together and all end winding connections
connect together. These are generally shown on a schematic by a black dot at
the top of a winding (coil). There's tests you can do to get the phasing
correct, but if they're not you'll know it quickly as if they're identical
windings, they'll act as a short and you'll have 0 voltage coming out of the
transformer (out of phase windings have a subtractive effect on the voltage).
You can use a variac or low voltage transformer to apply a low voltage to the
primary to check this without damaging anything. 12 Vac would probably work so
you can see that they are connected correctly.

Best,

Will