Re: [Amps] HV transformers I want to series primary and parallelsecondar

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformers I want to series primary and parallelsecondary
From: mike kendall <ke6cvh@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,
    The current going through each primary is exactly the same because they are
in series.  As the current increases in one transformer (primary) it increases
in the other transformer (primary) by the exact same amount. The transformer
with the lesser secondary voltage would still experience some kind of flux
build up as it's primary winding current increased wouldn't it?  Wouldn't this
have, to some extent, a kind of equalizing effect between the two transformers
under load?  I would suspect that the need for seperate bridges would apply
mostly when there is not a load on the transformers and keep them running
cooler under no load conditions. I know I am oversimplifying it as usual but
the amount of allowable voltage difference on the secondaries is some kind of
relationship between the max power handling of 1 transformer compared to the
actual load and also the self regulating effect of the two transformers in
series mentioned above.
  73,
  Mike

n AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org> wrote:
  Larry Carman wrote:
> Another question: If the secondary voltages differed more than 30 or 40
> volts and I used separate bridges, how much of a potential problem would
> that be?
> Larry N5BIP

I want to say, 30 or 40 volts! ;-)

More seriously, it depends on the source resistance of the two
supplies. If the supplies are very "stiff", the higher voltage one will
supply all the current.

73 Martin AA6E