Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight

To: David Robbins K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:35:02 -0700
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 11:24:07AM -0000, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
> No, it is impossible to tell for sure from log data who is stealing spots
> and claiming unassisted.

This is not true.

Often it is quite easy to spot these cheaters.
If you have all of the logs you can often spot these
guys fairly easily.  I have seen enough logs over the years
to have seen these sorts of things.  In at least one case
the log was not even needed to raise a red flag - just the claimed
score when compared with others in the same catagory and area of
the country.

I will concede that there are cases where you might not
be able to tell a so2r guy from a packet cheat and there will
be cases where the cheater will cheat in such a way as to make
it difficult to detect.

I also do not think that this is a big problem in the top
ranks of the scores.  There are no doubt exceptions.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net