[CQ-Contest] SO2R technique

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R technique
From: "Guy Molinari" <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 00:08:19 +0000
I'm an SO2R newbie.   Now that I have a basic CW SO2R setup off the ground
(one DX contest and one domestic contest so far) the first problem that I
have encountered revolves around operating technique.

The problem.

How do I time and synchronize my callls on the second radio without
interrupting the CQ'ing on the run radio.   It seems to me that the highest
priority is effectively soliciting Q's on that radio while quickly working
good stuff on the second.   I'm finding that it is NOT EASY (like any good
skill that must be acquired).   I find that whenever the station I'm trying
to call pauses to listen for an answer, my run radio is still transmitting.

The most obvious solution is to turn auto cq off when I find a new station
to work on the second radio and turn it back on when searching for another
one.   This leaves my run frequency vulnerable.  Especially to the guys to
tune to a QRG (mine) wait a half second.  Send QRL?.  Wait another half
second.  And then proceed to tell me that I should QSY.

There must be a better way.   Thoughts?

73 - Guy, N7ZG