Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technique

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technique
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 11:27:58 -0500 (CDT)
But at what point do you "lose" the frequency when you jump to the other rig?

I will agree that if you're making a quick (stress:  "quick") jump back &
forth, especially on CW at a decent speed, you probably will not be gone from
the primary frequency more than a few (less than 30, probably less than 20)
seconds.  So a considerate contester who happens on the temporarily vacant
frequency should call "QRL?" or whatever, by which time you're back.  Fair
enough.

However... if it's more than 30 seconds or so, what's a reasonable time to
wait?  Remember, the person who's listening on the original run frequency may
have no idea that you're SO2R and are jumping back and forth (after all, how
could they know?).  For all they know, you've permanently QSY'd from the
original frequency, or taken a break, or suffered a rig failure, or who knows
what.

This same thing can (and often does) happen when you're happily calling "CQ" on
Band 'A,' someone asks you to QSY quickly to Band 'B' to get your QSO on that
band, and you agree.  In many cases, by the time you punch up the other VFO,
punch in the frequency, QSY and make the contact, significant time (again, over
30 seconds) has gone past.

Either way, consider the poor slob who THINKS he's found a clear frequency,
QRL'd with no response, has begun CQ'ing and even worked a few stations.  Is it
now reasonable or fair to him that you suddenly pop back on frequency after the
short absence, and demand that HE leave so that you can have your run frequency
back?  Worse, after he reasonably states something to the effect that you were
gone, and no one replied to his QRL? -- should you now try to push him off
frequency by overpowering or QRM'ing him, just because you can?  (Unlike some
on this reflector, I do NOT believe that might makes right and anything not
prohibited is acceptable, but that's another story for another time.)

Yes, I know, sometimes things happen in the heat of the moment that you later
regret, mistakes happen, propagation shifts, and so forth:  Stuff happens.

Still:  I maintain that a considerate contester who is either running SO2R or
'temporarily' QSY'ing to another frequency, for whatever reason, runs the risk
of losing the 'temporarily' vacated frequency, and must not only ACCEPT that
risk but be willing to ACCEPT losing the frequency when gone for any
significant length of time.

...and one thing to consider, something that I see every year in many of the
smaller/regiional contests (such as the PA QSO Party) is this situation --
which solves the problem pretty neatly, IMHO (YMMV):

-- AA1ABC from NA2DEF, you're 59
-- QSL the 59, you're also 59.  Hey, can we work you on 28.495?
-- Sure, be there in a moment.  AA4GHI from NA2DEF, still there?
-- Yes!  You're 59 here.
-- You're also 59.  Hey, I need to go to 28.495 for a few minutes, want to run
the frequency until I'm back?

In this scenario, everyone knows that NA2DEF will be right back, the frequency
is not left temporarily vacated, AA4GHI gets a few minutes to switch from S&P
to Run & make some more Q's... no hassles, no problems, everyone wins.

73, ron w3wn