Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] QRM in DX Window

To: "'Randy Thompson'" <k5zd@charter.net>, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] QRM in DX Window
From: "Brian Szewczyk" <NJ1F@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:25:45 -0500
Randy

Last year during SS SSB near the end of the contest on 75 meters I had a
station just start calling another station on schedule right on my run
frequency. I simply called that station and gave him the contest exchange.
He told me that he was not in the contest but trying to reach his friend who
was at a camp and they had a running sked on the frequency. He also told me
that I was very strong and that even if his friend was calling there would
be no way for him to hear him with me CQing. I asked him that if his friend
shows up could they find a clear spot further up the band? He said yes. Look
this guy was at nice about it and willing to move and I had found some fresh
meat on the second radio so I told him that I would stand by while he called
his friend. OK so he never knew that I was working a station or two on a
different band. I noticed that another contester was trying to steal my run
frequency so I asked the guy if he would mind if I gave his friend a call?
He said yes. He thought I was helping him but, the fact of the matter is
that I did not want to lose my run frequency! Well his friend did not come
back to my calls so I turned it back over to him to call. I found another
station on the second radio that I needed to work. We did this a total of
three or four times before he finally said "Thank you for helping me call my
friend, I guess that I should give you the information that you need so you
can log me". We did the exchange and I told him that I would call CQ and if
no one was coming back he could call his friend and I would stand by. This
went on for about half hour and during that time I worked several other
stations that this guy was friends with that he told to work me.

If you contest long enough you will surely encounter a similar situation and
if you simply ignore the station calling his friend there is a good chance
that his friend shows up with several other stations that become "Carrier
Friends" or otherwise abuse you!

I feel that if I am treated with respect I am more willing to respect a
request to change frequency or stand by while a station calls on sked
especially if I am high in the band.

I am hopeful that they guys stay above 3800 kHZ after the expansion of our
phone band!

As for Cqing the DX window during a stateside contest, I am willing to bet
that the station that told you that you were cqing in the "DX window" did
not identify him or herself! Last time I checked there are FCC and
international rules about identifying transmissions and the DX window is
simply a "Gentleman's agreement" protected by no such rules.