Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend

To: KI9A@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:36:29 -0800 (PST)
As I stated before, the RST is purely subjective.  R
of 5 means perfectly reabable, whatever that means.
And S9 means "extremely strong signals", but compared
to what?  There is no standard for strong vs weak
signal.

Year first licensed is objective.  There is no lack of
a standard as there is for RST.  I understand that
some people may not remember and make a close
approximation, and I am ok with that, but people who
purposely pick some other number for the check are in
violation of the rules.

If the ARRL doesn't care, then why include it in the
rules.  Either drop it or say specifically in the
rules you can pick any number you like.

If we ignore this rule, why can't we ignore power
limit rules for the different classes-I want to run
1500 watts, but A is easier to send in the CWSS-or
time rules, etc.

73s John W5TD

73s John W5TD