Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend

To: asciibaron@comcast.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend
From: Kjboasi@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:45:36 EST
Steve,

The duping feature in logging programs doesn't give you the exchange before
it's sent.  That's how it's different.  Sure, you can dupe on paper.
Personally, I've done it and don't want to go back to it.  Maybe for SKN.

So what's to say that someone with lots of time and motivation couldn't take
his logs from a few years worth of SS, write all the calls, checks and
sections down in a big notebook, and organize it so he can flip back and forth
quickly?  You don't need a computer for that.  That could have been done 30
years
ago.  So logging software or paper dupe sheets have nothing to do with making a
searchable database.  It just makes it easier.

Like I said, I had people questioning me in last year's SS as to what my
check was.  Multiple times during the same QSO, too.  One guy even asked me
"...are you sure?".  Like I wasn't sure what I just said.

I just don't understand why people can't/won't copy what is sent.  If you
need a repeat on the exchange, just ask.  I've never denied anybody (multiple)
repeats if necessary.  Come to think of it, I can't remember anybody ever
denying me repeats, either, regardless what the guy's rate was.

And I think names are much more recognizable.than checks, but I wonder how
many people could name the year I was first licensed off the top of their head.

Probably not many.  I know I can't do it, regardless of who it is and how
many years I've worked them.  My memory isn't THAT good.  I doubt many people's
are, either.

As far as SCP, I have no idea.  I've never used it during a contest; if I
blow a call, it's my own fault for bad copy, or for not asking for a repeat.

-Ken, N2ZN