Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report

To: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:35:13 -0700
I don't see the point of sandblasting in public people who are simply
trying to do you a favor.  The fact they may mess it up is your problem,
not theirs ... it comes with the territory when you decide to rely on
the cluster instead of your own ears.  His error doesn't become yours
unless you jump on the pileup without waiting to hear the DX station's
callsign.

Last I checked making a typo wasn't against the rules like self spotting
is.  I love seeing Triple T out the guys who are trying to cheat, but
I'd sure hate to see him migrate to the kind of merely spiteful witch
hunting you're proposing.

Dave   AB7E

Jim Idelson wrote:
> Ok, Dave. This is great stuff. But, now that you have almost completely
> eradicated malicious spotting from our world, you need a new challenge.
>
> Almost as detrimental as self-spotting, busted spotting is the next big
> problem to deal with. Guys who can't copy and can't type should not be
> passing their errors on to the rest of the world. So, how about some
> post-contest comparisons of spotted calls against the SCP database? For those
> who have posted 50 or more spots during the contest, what percent appear to
> be busted calls? Listed from highest percent to lowest, that would be a good
> way to expose the worst and the best!
>
> Going a step further, when we see SO2R repeatedly spotted as S02R on or near
> 14.027, can we figure out who first posted the bad call, and then identify
> those who in all likelihood blindly picked up the spot and propagated it
> further?
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Idelson K1IR
> email    k1ir at designet.com