Re: [CQ-Contest] Hunting in Africa

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Hunting in Africa
From: "Vladimir Sidorov" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:58:22 -0500
David,

Indeed, a green light from respective authorities is the must before the
whole project starts. It would be much better to have an
approval/disapproval on that than to let the authorities to find out, a
thing like this is active without their approval. In the meantime, to be
very honest, I am quite pessimistic on that. Besides concerns mentionned in
my previous message, there is something else. And it is Internet. The
Internet has two basic things which might kill the whole idea before its
take-off.

1. Internet is a commercial mean of communications. Its inclusion into into
amateur radio communications develops the latter into something else, and it
is really up to the telecom administrations to consider it still as amateur
radio or not.

2. Internet is not a secure mean of communications. Your PC-to-radio link
can be hacked and somebody else can use your station for their own purposes.
The mass media report on governments' web-sites hacked. Perhaps there were
more successfull attacks on serious sites information on which did not reach
mass media, but the authorities are aware of that for sure. I mean, rest
assured, amateur internet sites/links can be hacked, too. And internet is an
international stuff.

My experience of contacts with telecommunication administrations clearly
shows, they consider the amateur radio just an annoying burden. Among all
possible options they always start from the worst scenario. Don't call me
paranoid, but we live in the after 9/11 world. Take a look at your project
from this point of view, add a possibility to hack your internet link and
you will see what I mean.

Your announcement on the fact that you have a Jamaican station which can be
remotely activated trough an existing IP-to-IP link just right away is a
very clear sign that something has already happen. It is not a future
project, it is a reality by now. But this thing is not explicitly described
by respective legislation. The respective authorities have clearly missed
the fact that things like that can happen.
It is very good that you have made your announcement. Perhaps you or
somebody else might initiate a process of a clarification of this very
serious topic.

73,

Vladimir VE3IAE/EU1SA

---