Re: [CQ-Contest] Hunting in Africa

To: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Hunting in Africa
From: "Colleen Brakob" <cbrakob@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:51:07 -0600

> Operating the station remotely provides no advantage over going there
> and operating the station on-site. In fact, as others have mentioned,
> with latency and external control problems with certain equipment, there
> are slight delays introduced that either reduce or completely inhibit
> certain operations.

One of the common objections (maybe the most common) to remote operation
seems to be the "unfairness" of it.

I'm struggling to understand that objection.

For purposes of exploration of this objection, suppose I move back to
Duva-land and rebuild my old station at KG6AQI.  Further suppose that K0CKB
decides to remain in Minnesota, but would like to operate as K0CKB/KH2
remotely, so I build her a duplicate station in the next room with
equivalent antennas, etc., and install a remote control link back to the
frozen tundra.

Since we would both compete in CQWW under the KH2 multiplier, the main
difference I see is that I get to operate sitting under a palm tree sipping
chilled tuba while she must sit in a snowbank sipping hot chocolate.

73, de Hans, K0H