Re: [CQ-Contest] Hunting in Africa

To: "Vladimir Sidorov" <vs_otw@rogers.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Hunting in Africa
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:36:47 -0500
Vladimir,

These are great questions. I am not certain I have the answers to them
all.

I agree the legal issues need to be explored.

I am almost certain that the Jamaican authorities (Spectrum Management
Authority) will allow me, and perhaps other, amateurs licensed by SMA to
operate the station remotely.

Since the station is at the home of 6Y5GC, there would be a local
control operator onsite.

Right now, I am simply interested in making it all work just to see if I
can. There are many pieces of equipment that need be controlled to
operate this station. It certainly is a technical challenge.

I have had several offers to assist me with the project, so I think it
will become a reality. The first step is to replace the current Internet
service. The Wifi I am currently using isn't reliable from week to week
and there is no DSL, cable or telephone lines to the house.

Thanks for your encouragement. It is a welcomed change from all the doom
and gloom posts.

David ~ KY1V

---------------------------------------
David,

Thanks for your initiative. It might finally push contest sponsors,
awards'
programs sponsors, etc, to start working on the remote operation topic.

In the meantime did you check the legal part of your project, like:
- Do the Jamaican authorities accept such such a remote operation? Will
they
accept the fact that a station located in Jamaica is supposed to  be
operated by foreign individuals, located actually in foreign countries
and
having not Jamaican licences? Who would be the control operator, and how
the
control operator would be able to control the activity?
- Do the Jamaican authorities accept the fact that it would be you who
allows foreign operators to access your Jamaican station remotely?
- Is it legal for, say, US amateurs to remotely operate a station
located in
a foreign country? Does the FCC allow that?
- In some countries of the IARU Region 1 any remote operation is not
allowed. Therefore what if citizens of such countries ask you to operate

your station remotely?
- Citizens/residents of what countries can operate your Jamaican station

remotely?

Just first questions rose immidiately having seen your message.

Thanks and 73,

Vladimir VE3IAE aka EU1SA

---