Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:51:17 -0500
I think the key is in the words "amateur radio communications" you stated
below. Anything that uses a link or part of one that is not radio for any
distance takes it out of the amateur RADIO category. It could be amateur
INTERNET communications but that's not the same.

I'm all for development of receiving techniques that would make my receiver
right here be able to pull in stations that are so buried below the noise
floor that I could never hope to hear a whisper with the station I have now.
I'm all for new digital radio modes that could do this and more. But as soon
as you take RADIO out of any part of the distance, it just isn't the same to
me.

I've played around with remote receiving sites available on the internet for
general shortwave listening but I haven't ever paired that with transmitting
in order to make a QSO. They're kind of fun to listen to but I'd never use
one in a contest or a DX QSO.

A complete remote station that does all the transmitting and receiving from
a single site could be interesting, but more as a novelty to me.

73, Zack W9SZ