Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 10/21/10, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com> wrote:

> From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap
> To: cq-contest@contesting.com
> Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 2:13 PM
>
> Good point.
>
> So, in your opinion, would it be legal for unassisted
> operation to use
> my own private local CW Skimmer (in conjunction with a
> Softrock, SDR-IQ,
> QS1R, etc) operating in normal mode to telnet spots to the
> N1MM bandmap if:
>
> 1.  the CW Skimmer window was minimized so that I
> couldn't see it
>
> and
>
> 2.  N1MM was configured to replace the decoded
> callsigns with an asterisk

No, not legal. You are still getting big benefits from Skimmer DECODING the cw:
only spotting stations calling cq, matching to the callsign database to reject
junk, etc.

As you recognized, otherwise:

> 3.  Stops at every blip on the screen whether it is a
> station or not.

To be legal, Skimmer would need to output a spot for each of the little
blinking dots. In other words, a frequency that is NOT determined in any way by
the CW decoding, just by the presence of a signal. Right now it won't do that.

Tor
N4OGW