Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

To: Radio K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:03:16 +0400
Hans (and others),

My aim was not to stop any discussion what is allowed and what is not
allowed... but anything dealing with clusters, skimmers and future
inventions of "fully automatic devices that both receives and transmits
CW-code" would by most contesters be considered "assistance-related" - and
therefore be excluded from use in non-assisted categories.

We might be a minority that still enjoy the old school of contesting, but
let us at least have one category where we can tune our VFOs in the
old-fashioned Stone Age way....

Technical innovation is for sure a part of our hobby, but to use wide
shoulders and try to force contesters who prefer non-assisted operation to
accept wider interpretation of the word "non-assisted" than before - does
not in my understanding develop contesting as such.

We have in many contests several classes and it is fairly clear to anyone
that using EVEN a local skimmer (giving the operator both frequency and
callsign of the stations that appear) is a very big advantage compared to
normal non-assisted operation. Therefore, in my sincere opinion - ANY type
of skimmer (local or Reverse Beacon Network) should be equalized to usage of
a DX-Cluster, and subsequently demanding the user to participate in the
Assisted Category.

R3/SM6LRR, Mats