[CQ-Contest] Leveling the Playing Field

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the Playing Field
From: "W7VJ" <w7vj@millerisar.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:26:04 -0700
At the risk of raising an exceptionally controversial concept; if there is
virtual unanimity in the acknowledged perpetual Northeast Coast dominance in
DX contests from the U.S., why have a single U.S. winner?  Shouldn't the
winners be strictly by zone?

The first objection I can think of is that the southern U.S. has to compete
with the Northeast just as we have to compete with CA and AZ here in the
Northwest. So a zone winner will still not equalize these additional
competitive advantages. Nevertheless, why is a national winner in the DX
contests relevant, at least here in the U.S.?

A W1 with a tribander at 60 feet and wires on the low bands can trump yagis
and tall towers - and the investment in them - for the rest of the U.S.
Still, in national rankings, W1will remain placed above those further west.
Arguably this approach requires no change in the rules, just one less award
and attention.

Again, I am not advocating this, but in a discussion of many theoretical
concepts, here is one more. As someone once noted, "if you want to win a
contest, move....."  Sorry, for me it's not that important.

73
W7VJ