Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the Playing Field

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the Playing Field
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:37:40 EDT
With the wonders of computerized scoring, the WorldWideWeb, and electronic
publishing, there is no reason contest scores could not be computed via one
or  more additional algorithms. Keep the existing system (at least for now)
as the  "official" results, but re-compute results based on distance,
latitude/planetary K-index, or whatever, and see what falls out from there.
Some
 mention of this was made in the original CAC correspondance.

My  observation is that distance is less important than the hours of shared
daylight  or darkness to key areas. If you compare rates between stations
in different  geographic areas on the Contest Log  Viewer/Analyzer

http://logqso.com/

it becomes real obvious, real quick. The guys in New  England really clean
up as the high bands open to Europe in the morning, and to  a lesser extent
when the low bands open in the evening.  They are running  up big numbers
for an hour or two before, say, W8/W9. Once the band opens to  those areas,
the rates become very similar.  Add less easily quantified  factors like
getting first crack at good run frequencies, and it adds up to a  lot more
difference than a linear ratio of distances between the two  areas.

While the same principle (less the first crack at a frequency
consideration) works the other way to Asia/Pacific, there are far fewer
participants in
that direction.

Adding a weighting factor based on hours  of mutual daylight/darkness
between stations would provide an interesting  alternate scoring system.

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 6/23/2011 4:46:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,