Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)

To: "'Radio K0HB'" <kzerohb@gmail.com>, "'Dale Putnam'" <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 04:48:37 -0500
Not enough information is provided in the original post to correctly answer
any of these scenarios as to whether or not they constitute assistance.

Are these random pieces of information from K0BB - transmitted to K0AA over
the air - on the bands and mode K0AA is using to operate the contest?

In that case, none of these are assistance whether K0AA acts on them or not.

If it's on 2m FM or packet radio or via an internet spotting network while
K0AA is operating the ARRL CW DX contest (for example), it would be
assistance.

If K0AA has asked (pre-arranged with) K0BB to scan the bands and to look for
stuff like this, then to find K0AA on the air and feed this information to
K0AA to help K0AA in his operation of the contest, this would constitute an
illegal multi-op - not assistance.

It would be an illegal multi-op because K0AA's operation is now at two
locations - K0AA and K0BB. Why would this not be assistance? Because K0BB is
intentionally performing actions that benefit K0AA's score only - pretty
much as if he were at K0AA's station - but he's not.

73,

Bob W5OV

P.S. This is my personal opinion and not necessarily representative of any
contest committee I am a member of.