Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE QSY - Deer in headlights

To: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE QSY - Deer in headlights
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:25:07 -0800
hi George - The following is based on my RTTY experience, take it as you
will. 10% sounds like an OK rate actually. Most people are just cruising
the band and don't really want to bother unless they have a reason to want
you on another band.

In any mode as soon as I get anything that indicates they got my stuff, I'm
spinning the dial. If you say PSE QSY I might decide I heard PSE QSL and
spin. Just one thought. And probably a lot of ops aren't interested in
sitting around for a multi digit number, so they don't stick around to say
no. Same thing in RTTY - as soon as I see TU I'm gone.

I have better luck with QSYs when I am a desired mult, but another trick is
that people seem to love getting you on all (or even most) bands. If I have
someone on 4 out of 5 bands, a QSY will usually work. I got lots that way
in the NAQP yesterday.

I operate RTTY SO2R so I'm often CQing on two bands, and I have a message
like QRV 21109.9 TU WK6I CQ to direct to my other band. The other station
can come by at their convenience. I think that helps, but requires SO2R...
or multi-op.

- jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com