Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE QSY - Deer in headlights

To: Georgek5kg@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE QSY - Deer in headlights
From: Geoffrey Way <wayg@cape-vision.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:41:14 -0500
In my case, it's not more than a few tenths of a second after hearing "TU" that I've spun the dial to the next signal, so #3 for me. If I am running, odds are very low that I'd QSY if I'm SO.

I believe a lot of S&P stations aren't keen to QSY if they are SO and not yet ready to leave that band. I observe that the running station often makes a very long transmission to request the QSY. By the time they are finished, a long time has passed. If I can QSY for a friend that I know is operating the DX station, I am happy to do it.

In the same way that WAE has the QTC? query, perhaps a protocol of QSY? or some other Q-signal (QSX?) should become the shorthand to ask first, before spouting off a 6-letter and 5-digit QSY request. That might save everyone a lot of time and trouble.

QSY requests are infinitely easier to make, and to somehow respond to, on Phone of course.

-- KA1IOR

 "Style is a simple way of saying complicated things."  --J. Cocteau

              \    /
                 /
              ======
           \  |    |   ---Tao.   A chinese character that
           -- |----|                means "Way, Path."
            / |----|
            \ |____|
            /_________                  Geoffrey Way