Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change

To: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change
From: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 22:30:17 +0300
cqwpx.com
http://cqwpx.com/rules_faq.htm

"Q: How can I tell if I am Single Operator or Single Operator Assisted?"

The answer is:
"The rules for Single Operator state "all operating and logging functions
are performed by one person (the operator)." The CQ WPX Contest has two
classes of entry for stations with only one operator: Single Operator and
Single Operator Assisted.

You are Single Operator IF you (and only you) *locate AND identify* every
callsign that you put in your log. Locate means to tune in each signal.
Identify means to determine the callsign of the station you are working.

If you cannot say this, then you should enter the Single Operator Assisted
category."

That is, in other words, if you get and use any information telling you in
any way a call and kHz, you are assisted. Even receiving and using
information containing a partial call and kHz makes you assisted.

If you want a second opinion, please consult http://cqww.com/rules_faq.htm
The wording differs a bit.
However the message is the same - or that is how I read these two FAQ

73,
Jukka OH6LI @top Getaberg, OH0V

> The big problem is the misuse of the word "assistance," which has spawned
all sorts of silly interpretations as including having a spouse cook for
you, or a station owner helping debug problems, or antenna-raising parties
or using solarham.com to assess space weather conditions be argued to be
assistance.

> Any one of those things are, in fact, assistance. But they don't put you
into the assisted category. Only your use of spots of any kind or Skimmer
does.

> 73, kelly, ve4xt
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 27, 2016, at 8:54 AM, Ed Sawyer <sawyered@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yuri's "confusion" on assistance vs "gadgets" is probably the reason why
> > almost all of the DQs on unclaimed assistance come out of Europe.  I
think
> > that just changing the category name to unlimited vs limited and
listing the
> > current criteria of the assisted vs unassisted categories might make a
big
> > difference of clarity for people.
> >

> > Most people want to do the right thing.  Lets be as clear as we can on
what
> > the rules of the game by category are and be sure that unintended
confusion
> > is avoided wherever possible.
> >

> > There is ZERO ambiguity in the details of the rules banning skimmers in
> > one's own shack from being allowed in the "unassisted" category.  But
is it
> > "assistance" as might be translated into other languages?  Not always.
Lets