Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Idea

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Idea
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 12:28:35 -0400
We already have "DX Marathon" but that's a year, not a weekend.

I would be opposed to a "contest" that only counted countries+zones. That
sounds like the old ARRL DX Contest Quota system, where the Quota, instead
of being 6 per country like it was in the past, would be just 1. It's just
a bad idea.

It also reminds me about the guys who do sweepstakes by working 83 sections
in 83 Q's. But they won't QSO with you if you aren't a section they still
need.

Randy, I've been a ham 40 years now but only recently gotten into
contesting. The amount of DX that's worked in CQ WW is just off the scale
unbelievable. I once looked into how quick the biggest M/M's work DXCC, and
I found an example back at solar max where I think K3LR had worked 100
DXCC's in the first 40 minutes of the contest. And of course you extoll the
examples a few years ago where 5BDXCC was worked in a single weekend by a
single operator. Now, that's what it's all about!

Tim N3QE